Thursday, June 16, 2011

The Tiger Rising...

Yea, the US Open golf, not tennis, tournament started today, but Tiger isn't rising. But what is rising is my interest in local authors.  Kate DiCamillo is a Minnesota author with, Because of Winn-Dixie, The Tale of Despereaux and The Tiger Rising in her portfolio.


The Tiger RisingBecause of Winn-DixieThe Tale of Despereaux: Being the Story of a Mouse, a Princess, Some Soup and a Spool of Thread

I noticed these books in the nostaglia section of my local Half Price Book store. I sauntered to the cashier where I was pleasantly surprised to hear  Kate worked at Half Price books many years ago. Even nicer, the books purchased were all signed by Kate! With two of her novels made into movies and continuing to write, I doubt we'll see Kate working behind a counter any time soon.

Now I'm not one to read many children's books these days, but I am one to support local authors. Others in my library include Vince Flynn, John Sandford, Steve Thayer, Jon Hassler, Theresa Monsour, Tami Hoag( originally from MN), Chuck Logan, Tim O'Brien, Roslyn Paterson and William Kent Krueger are a few that come to mind. Oh and of course, F. Scott Fitzgerald.

Who are some of your favorite local authors?

No comments:

Post a Comment