Tuesday, August 30, 2011

9/11 books: "tattoos", Thunder Dog and 1,463 stairs to Freedom

Reading the USA Today over my daily breakfast regime, a page or two was dedicated to newly released books by survivors of our generations Pearl Harbor. Two caught my eye of which I've decided to read over the next several days. Given today is a Tuesday, when most books are released, I hopped in the car and went shopping. 

Unmeasured Strength, by Lauren Manning. Managing Director and Partner at Cantor Fitzgerald on the 106th floor of Tower Two, survived with over 80% of her body scarred and burnt. She doesn't hide her scars, she calls them "personal tattoos, her body art".


Unmeasured Strength


The second book, Thunder Dog, The True Story of a Blind Man, His Guide Dog & the Triumph of Trust at Ground Zero by Michael Hingson with Susy Flory. 1,463 stairs away from survival, freedom from the smoke filled inferno of the north tower. Hingson put his faith and  trust in his guide dog, Roselle, and triumphed!


Thunder Dog: The True Story of a Blind Man, His Guide Dog, and the Triumph of Trust at Ground Zero

Firehouse by the late David Halberstam is the only book I've read on 9/11 although I have several in my library.
Firehouse

Halberstam explores the lives of 13 men of Engine 40, Ladder 35 located on the West Side of Manhattan. Thirteen men became first responders to the World Trade Center, only one survived. Halberstam, a Pulitzer Prize winning author and Vietnam war correspondant, at the time of the writing lived three blocks from the station.

Any books that you've read or wish to recommend?

It's been years since I read Halberstams book, almost nine years to the date and I rarely read a book twice. However, accompanied with Manning's and Hingson's, I'll make an exception and read his, too.

2 comments:

  1. Thunder Dog was an amazing story of courage, trust, and teamwork. When I think of the thousands who faced the horror of the September 11th terrorist attack I still shutter. When I think of the people with special challenges caught in the attack, my heart cries and then rejoices as they work to overcome the obstacles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well put Netherland thanks for your comment and supporting my blog. I originally intended to read both books listed above but only able to read Thunder Dog. So, each September, my plan is to read one book on this 'Pearl Harbor' of our generation. Thunder Dog was an awesome story.

    thanks again!

    ReplyDelete