Monday, March 14, 2011

Dinner with a Reader...

Early last month, I had the pleasure of dining with a friend. A friend who shares the same reading passion as I. Schedules being what they are, we're not always able to meet, so it was great to do so.

We sat down and began reading, literally - the menu that is.  We began the evening delving into an antipasti of Fritto Misto and a dialogue on the art of reading. Reading in quantity and for quality - slower reading for non-fiction, a bit quicker for fiction.

Medaglione di Vitello ai Porcini was our main course as we discussed one topic, that being history. military history in particular. The Monuments Men that I'm currently reading which centers on the  pillaging of fine arts by Nazi Germany was one subject and Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand was another. A book I've yet to read but is on my list.

The conversation flowed, much like the wine( more on that later) to how people read, is it paperback/hardcover, Kindle or Nook or perhaps audio books?.  As my readers poll winds down and as the prevalence of e-readers increases, the results of the poll may surprise you.

Our server kept our glasses full as letter writing became a topic. Letter writing is a lost art. We rely on emails, texts, tweets, facebook, etc. When's the last time you actually wrote a letter to someone? Seems archaic, but what a great way to make an impression - by doing something different - a more personal touch. So the suggestion was made that perhaps I write letters to the authors I review or promote. What a great idea. I have a few in my head but alas, as we sometimes do, emailing is easiest and more convenient so I fell to that convenience and posted a note on an authors blog instead of writing a letter. But I'm re-focused on my goal to write one or two letters a month to authors or perhaps a friend or a family member.

....As one engages in conversation, one becomes thirsty, so throughout the evening,  we quenched our palates with a bottle of Gaja Ca Marcanda Magari or was it two bottles?  I don't recall the vintage, but it was delicious. This blend of Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc is highly recommended.

We ended the evening with Cioccolato Versato for dessert and a glass of port and a smooth Grey Goose.

There's nothing like a good meal to discuss one's passion for reading and the future of literature. Four of my favorite things: Great Friends, Great Conversation, Great Food and Great Wine.

Til next time, Buon Appetito!

No comments:

Post a Comment