Monday, February 14, 2011

Catching a Turtle...

In reading Nicole Helget's  The Turtle Catcher,  I paused at an early point in the book where Nicole left me wondering, 'What the hell is this woman talking about?"  But with my insatiable curiosity and a trust in the person who suggested I read it, I ventured on. And I'm glad I did! With maybe an early hint of Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men, Helget keeps you turning the pages, wading you deeper into the dark secret waters of the Richter family;  Back to their German origins in the late 1800's where two sisters escape to America...and to New Germany, Minnesota where they seek out a family relative to raise their own family, passing secrets from one generation to the next. The Richters struggle with the purpose of World War I and battle their own conflicts with the neighboring Sutter family. The Turtle Catcher will wade you through the scum of abused waters; snapping at you with sexual undertows. Helget answers my question with the creative passion that writing allows.

No comments:

Post a Comment