Friday, February 1, 2013

Hi, my name is Phil...

Hi, my name is Phil, citizen of Punxsutawny Pennsylvania, and a proud, pelaged purveyor of prognostication on potentially prolonged winter precipitation.



My prophetic day of prediction is this Saturday, aptly named Groundhogs Day, February 2nd. Why post this on February 1? Well as I so proudly proclaimed, I'm a proud, pelaged purveyor of prognostication on potentially prolonged precipitation, winter or spring. And with that, I prophesize that I won't see my shadow, bring on spring! Now what does this have to do with books and reading, well do just that, keep reading.*

In terms of monikers, I'm also known as a whistle-pig or a woodchuck, I'm not one for whistling, but I've been known to live like a sloppy pig in my college days.  However, I was brought into this world as Phil. Not Chuck. Besides, "how much wood would Phil chuck" isn't very euphonious.  But how much wood does a woodchuck chuck? Well, according to Cornell University, distinguished educational institution of Andy Bernard of the TV Series, The Office, a woodchuck can chuck about 700 lbs of wood.

Now I share this pronounced purposeful of a day with the birthday of royalty, authors, actors, actresses, athletes, military dignitaries, musical artists, a pope and... some Dude named, Henderson not to be confused with the Dude Lebowski.

A comprised list of luminaries:

 King John of Denmark (1455 - 1513)



Benedict XIII, [Pierfrancesco Orsini], Italy, 245th pope  (1694 - 1730)  (papal: 1724-30)

Albert Sidney Johnston, Gen (Confederate Army) (1803-1862)

Nathaniel Collins McLean, Brig Gen (Union volunteers), (1815-1905)

 James Joyce*, novelist/poet (Dubliners, Ulysses, Finnigan's Wake) (1882 - 1941),
who to my knowledge  is no relation to Dr. Joyce Brothers or Joyce DeWitt of Three's Company fame.






Ayn Rand*, Russian-born author and philosopher who shouldn't be confused with Rand Paul, Paul Ryan or Ron Paul.(1905-1982)

 


 



Coach George S Halas, [Papa Bear], end/coach (Bears), co-founder NFL. (1895 - 1983) who is seen here with another famous Bear...Yea, Go Bearzz! 




Howard Johnson, American hotelier (1897 -1972)

Clarence "Buster" Crabbe, California, swimmer (Olympic-gold-1932)/actor  (1908 - 1983)

Al "Red" Schoendienst, baseball manager/2nd baseman (St Louis Cards) (1923 -   )



1927 - Stan Getz, Phila, jazz tenor saxophonist  (1927 -1991)

The ever so funny, sometimes controversial, Tom Smothers, comedian. I mean, all you have to do is look at him and laugh. (1937 -  ) That's him on the left:



Graham Nash, guitarist (Crosby, Stills, Nash & sometimes Young)...(1942 - )"Our House is a very very fine house, with two cats in the yard, life used to be so hard, but now everything is easy cause of you..."










Farrah Fawcett, actress (1947 - 2009) - Hubba Hubba!


 
Christie Brinkley, [Ex-Mrs Billy Joel], model/actress (1954 - )  Dubba Hubba Hubba!



Pebbles Flintstone, fictional character on "The Flintstones"...strange but true


The wonderful singer Eva Cassidy who left us way too soon. (1963 - 1996)

 Mike Henderson, (1964 - )not to be confused with the Dude. "Look, let me explain something to you. I'm not Mr. Lebowski. You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. That, or His Dudeness … Duder … or El Duderino, if, you know, you're not into the whole brevity thing."



and last but not least...

1977 - Shakira [Shakira Isabel Mebarak Ripoll],  Colombian pop singer  - - SCHWING!



Will we see our shadow? Reminds me of a song, " Shadows grow so long, before my eyes...and they're moving.."

Who was born on your birthday?  Thanks to www.historyorb.com for helping compile this list of fellow groundhogs.



No comments:

Post a Comment