Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Learn your ABC's: All Books Cash

I think I was around eight or nine years of age, maybe a bit younger, when my parents took my sister and I to see Johnny and June Carter Cash at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville, TN back in the early 70's. I'm not quite sure the exact date.



And, I'm not quite sure how or why Cash's music and life become a focal point of my musical tastes throughout my life. But I'm very sure of how grateful I am for my loving parents and that small trek through Kentucky and Tennessee that summer of the 70's.

In Robert Hilburn's Johnny Cash: The Life, you too can take a trek, a journey back to the early days of Dyess, AR(today, Sept 26, would've been his 82nd birthday) through the pills, spills and chills; the peaks and valleys of John's musical life and landscape til that September day when Johnny Cash's journey ended.



Who's Robert Hilburn, you may ask. Well, I'd guess he's heard this phrase hundreds of times, " Hello I'm Johnny Cash!" but maybe the most memorable time came at the famous Folsom Prison Concert in 1968. Yes, Hilburn was there on assignment for a Los Angeles newspaper.

Hilburn, a music critic in LA has helped catapult careers of icons such as Elton John, Bruce Springsteen and Kris Kristofferson, who said that after Hilburn's review of his Troubadour debut, he never had to work again.

Johnny Cash: The Life can be seen as the authoritative book on the Man in Black. One only has to read through the number of sources, interviews, including many with John himself and several Cash family members, colleagues, contemporaries and friends to understand Hilburn and the books credibility. But don't start there. Start at page one. Hilburn writes not just through the eyes of a music critic but as a fan and friend adding a sincere, riveting, honest look at a Man, his Music and his Life. Heck, you may learn more about The Man than maybe he knew of himself!

Learn your ABC's my Mother told me. Not sure if these were the ABC's she was referring to, but they sure have taught me a lot.

All Books Cash ( I've read some, some I haven't...yet!):




 
*please note as you browse through my blog you have the opportunity to purchase  books directly from this website. However, I no longer earn any income from this particular site as when the state of MN required websites to pay taxes on their affiliate programs, Amazon abruptly ended theirs. Although I don't blog that much anymore, I do so now purely for the enjoyment of writing and promoting reading and a little music along the way.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment